Last night a friend asked me, if you stop caring for your skin, will all your hard work be reversed? The answer is yes. Skincare is hard work, and the key to maintaining all of it is…. maintenance.
In other words, it’s not enough to slap moisturiser on your face twice a day and expect all that to last for the 8 – 12 hours between. Which is why I always have essentials in my bag to give my skin that extra boost.
1. Face mist
Face mist. Super important. Especially when you work in a highly air conditioned office all day, and your skin stretches tighter and tighter around your nose, mouth, and forehead that you’re afraid it might crack right off your face.
A good face mist adds layers of hydration back into your face, refresh your makeup, control oil and sebum buildup (in other words, unwanted shininess), and put that glow back into your skin. I like to mist around 5 – 8 times a day to ward off dryness and that gross midday film of oil from my face.
Glow tip: If you’re using a plain mineral/ thermal water spray (such as Evian, Avene, La Roche Porsay, etc), this can have the opposite effect of drawing moisture away from your face as it dries. Without any hydrating ingredients to bind the moisture to your skin, the water just evaporates, and leaves your face drier than before. While this is fine for oily skin, it’s not so great for dry/ combination skin. The best way to tackle mineral/ thermal sprays is to either tissue off the water before it dries on its own, after letting it sit for about 30s – 1min.
Some of my favourite mists to carry around:
- For sensitive, oily/ combination skin: Caudalie grape water, Sephora
- For dry/ combination skin: Whamisa organic flowers rose petal mist, Olly.sg
- For dry/ matured skin: SKII Mid-day miracle face essence, SKII
- For dull skin needing a pickup: Bodyshop energising Vitamin C face spritz, Bodyshop
2. Sun spray
As we all know, it’s not enough to slather on SPF 50 in the morning and call it a day. Sun protection doesn’t last the whole day, and in the cases of sensitive skin, it might not even last an hour.
I like to keep a sunscreen spray in my bag to ‘top up’ my protection throughout the day. Especially right before going out to lunch. Just remember that some sunscreens work after they’ve been allowed to sit for 15 – 20 mins, so read your instructions, and you’ll be fine.
Favourite sunscreen sprays:
- DrGL sun protection mist
- Supergoop! sunscreen mist (this tends to leave white mineral deposit on my face, so do check yourself in the mirror after application!)
- La Roche-Porsay Anthelios Invisible face mist ultra-light
Your giant oversized shades aren’t a fashion statement a la the Olsen twins any more. They offer serious protection on the most vulnerable parts of your body — your cheekbones (where freckles tend to form), your eyes, and the delicate, easily wrinkled skin around your eyes.
Seriously. Get yourself a good pair of sunglasses that are comfortable to wear and versatile enough to go with any outfit, and wear them every time you’re not indoors. Your eyes will thank you in 10 years. My personal favourites are my Celine tortoiseshell wayfarers, similar pair here.
4. Hand cream
No one wants to touch papery dry hands, or look at jagged bits of hangnails and cuticles, so make sure you keep a hand cream around to solve all that! My suggestion is to splurge on a hand cream with a smell that you adore, so that you always look forward to moisturising your hands. And it should be lightweight, so that it doesn’t leave any sticky residue when you’re outside.
Don’t forget to smooth any leftover product on your elbows too!
Favourite hand creams:
- For the most delicious, half herbal and half fruity/citrus scent: Aesop resurrection aromatique hand balm (if there were ever a cult hand cream award, this would win it every time)
- For a richer, creamier cream that smells 100% like a ripe, juicy peach: Tony Moly Peach hand cream (anti-aging)
- Alternatively, use a good cuticle balm to nourish your nails. I like Lush Lemony Flutter — another cult beauty product
5. Lip balm
As someone obsessed with tip tints, which can be a little drying, I know the importance of applying lip balm regularly.
Lip balm keeps your lips feeling comfortable and hydrated, prevents your lips/ lip colour from getting unsightly flakes, and makes your lips look soft and plump.
Favourite lip balms:
- Dior Addict lip glow doubles up as a light lip tint with a very natural hint of pink. I’m on my 5th or 6th tube at the moment.
- For a clear, very moisturising layer, I keep tubes of Lucas’ Papaw ointment everywhere. Doubles up as a great overnight lip mask too!
6. Bonus round
Other things I carry around with me every day:
- My beloved digital skin analyser. More on this in a later post, but it gives me a reading of my moisture/ oil levels, and I use this to gauge the effectiveness of my moisturisers/ face mists.
- My tangle teezer brush. I like getting a ton of volume in my hair, which means hair wax, which means tangles. Nothing gets rid of knots and flyaways like my tangle teezer.
- Maison Francis Kurkdjian Aqua Universalis Forte. A beautiful floral/ citrusy/ musky scent that I fell in love with and now use daily and obsessively.
That’s all folks! I’ll be back soon with a post about customising a skincare routine for yourself, but until then, check out more cult beauty products here.
You glow girl! Love,